#KeepTransitMoving National Day of Online Action!
As you know, Halifax Transit is no longer collecting fares, in order to make sure bus drivers can maintain physical distancing and stay safe. But that means Halifax Transit’s revenue has disappeared, and they’re being forced to cut routes — routes that people rely on to get to essential jobs. Call your MP and your MLA and then them that you the Federal and Provincial governments to provide emergency funding for transit!
SAMPLE PHONE SCRIPT*
(*Many thanks to our allies at the TTC Riders Alliance for putting this script together.)
Hi, my name is [_________] and I live in [YOUR FEDERAL RIDING].
I appreciate your leadership during this crisis but I urge you to do more for public transit.
I urge you to provide emergency and permanent transit funding.
This is important to me because…
[PERSONALIZE YOUR MESSAGE or use some of these ideas]:
– I use transit to get to work.
– Essential workers rely on transit to get to work and it must be safe.
– We need more service so riders can be physically distant.
– Public transit is critical to a green and fair economic recovery.
– Public transit is vital to help Canada reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
– Cities are warning they will have to cut or even outright suspend transit service.
I would appreciate a call-back about this issue. Thank you.
WHO IS YOUR MLA?
Honourable Stephen McNeil,
Phone: (902) 424-6600
Honourable Lloyd Hines,
Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
Honourable Kelly Regan
Clayton Park West
Cole Harbour-Portland Valley
Honourable Tony Ince
Honourable Patricia Arab
Honourable Lena Metlege Diab
Halifax Citadel-Sable Island
Honourable Labi Kousoulis
Honourable Keith Colwell
Phone: (902) 424-4388
Waverley-Fall River-Beaver Bank